'Kakai' scares critics!

Image result for shatta wale kakai
318 × 251 - ghxclusives.com
Shatta Wale's presentation of his single 'Kakai' for the up coming Vodafone Ghana Music Award has caused skepticism and a stare. Critics wonder if he should be considered or even if his music makes sense at all.
I didn't know how many times I replayed Shatta Wale's song “Kakai” last night, but I know how many times I had to defend his song that it has more substance than people disdainfully accord it. Not only was it artistically crafted, with a satiric taunts, the lyrics portray an understanding of one's circumstance and leveraging it.
Over the time, Shatta Wale does nothing in vain. In between his scandals and his dis beefs with other artists or managements, he holds to a PR aim that resonates with our rebellious spirit and coincides with the rebellious phase of most teens. It is not surprising the Shatta Movement squarely represents that; stubbornness in protest against being a product of a degrading system.

“I dey see my dream; I dey see my dream mi wo hope” Shatta Wale

Shatta Wale has never been lucky with journalists and critics who ought to hype him. For a TV Morning Show host to say “That guy, I don't like him” speaks volume of his fan base in those circles. These sentiments are owning to his habit of including media personnels and institutions, like Charter House, in his unguarded rants. Cartoonists depict him with a really large lips while media presenters concentrate on his amazingly large lips and 'ugly' looks anytime they wish to go at him.


omgghana.com
It rather makes more sense for him to own this 'ugliness' and develop a new image for himself, the 'monster' (incidentally that is what 'Kakai' means in the Ghanaian local language). This is why “kakai” has for some time captured my attention as a brilliantly crafted song.
What was more fascinating was his lyric that were said in Ga. My bi-linguist tells me it translates: “When I saw you, you were in Togo jeans and I brought you to my house and took care of you, ('Tsutsu trouser') old trousers that what you were, but no one knew. Its now that you know the dark is scary (that must have been him, not good looking -Kakai). now you know. But I'll still humble myself – so mi ah humble mi self”

“...So me scare them like huh!
Haihai….Haihia
Shatta Wale ah come like kakai
hai  .haihai...hiahia
Shatta wale come like kakai
hai ..haihai...hiahia
Me come to them like kakai
Hai...haihai...haihai
Shatta Wale come like kakai….”

listening to “Kakai” casually, it comes across as an address to a love one. Its first verse consolidates the notion that he (Shatta Wale) is still the fall back guy(the soldier, the leader, the teacher and the father). As I listened, I felt the connection as if personally the music is an address to the fans.
“I no go fit dawg you cos I be your father!
Only Shatta Wale can fully tell who he addresses, but still, it is reassuring. Most prominent is his address to some of the comments he received from some of his fans about how great he is. “Larry for Vienna City s3 shatta wo y3 sick, Achipalago, Straight up and John si Shatta wo y3 ogidigidi!', an attribute no doubt he is proud of.
There exit a cold beef between Shatta Wale and Samini

The strange irony is that the first verse is in stark contrast with the second. This is in the sense that, the first verse pictured him as the social Idol (figure) of respect and reverence. “So mi ah humble me self, anywhere mi step manna down to the earth” Only for him to start his second verse with so much boasting (typical Shatta Wale style). However, he is one of the few musicians who composes for audience in Nima and other destitute neighborhoods while other artist flaunt wealth and posh of the middle class.
After every chorus, comes a Hook that is where it appears he is taunting some people probably event organizers of some sort. Again he is the best person to explain that and I am hoping to get that explanation when I get the opportunity to meet him.
The beat is Monstrously dope!
Image result for shatta wale

Shatta Wale is by far the most expressive artist in Ghana who shy no one even to the point of being shameless. He performs with energy and passion that his music sounds energizing. Clearly he hold more influence amount the lower class audience ie a huge advertising potential. Imagine my surprise when his abusive song “...Ony3 sorrr!” made waves. It was playing in the club and everyone screamed these profane insults without recourse to better judgment; talk of bad influence.


Credits to Ghbestpromo.com for the lyric to 'Kakai'

Comments

Popular Posts