TRUE WORTH

Here I am, in the darkness of my room. I am wondering what my true worth is if I should die right now. Yes we are all going to die, that is certain, (and mind you I’m not suicidal). I indulged this feeling further, then it dawned on me that I was worth nothing.
My certificates cannot be used by another once am “gone”. Utterly worthless. My furniture will be sold for less than I bought it or actually given out for free (“flee market” got it?); same fate for my electronics.

My clothing will suffer a worse fate. The clothes will be gifted out, turned into rags and the best will last just two years in someone else's wardrobe. Because, “Nobody carries your style better than you”, I always admonish.


My shoes are too small for regular feet.  I guess they will be dumped first.
My apartment will be emptied for a prospective tenant. All traces of me, GONE.
My intellectual property if any will be sold for less or more, depending on it’s worth to whomever chooses to buy. My bank accounts? They are on the red line so there is no need. Lol

Be encouraged though; there are loads of people, who are worth so much out there unlike me. Those worth legacies - Nkrumah, Shakespeare, Mother Theresa; Those worth money, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerbeg, Aliko Dangote, Sir Sam Jonah and those worth lineage and power like the Queen of England and the Asantehene of the Asante kingdom, Ghana.

But then again I am a mother, a daughter, a sister, a cousin, a friend, a niece, an aunty.  Should that not count for something? If it does then for now, this is all am worth. Relationships!
These people will remember me for my smile, gestures, humour, annoying traits and bad habits. Yes I do have bad habits.
They will cry a few days and smile sometimes in remembrance of me. But they will certainly move on haven been shaped by their encounter with me.
My daughter may grow to love someone else as her mother.
My mother may adopt someone as her child having had a daughter like me.
My brother? He would never have another sister like me. That am sure.
My friends will make new friends along the way.
If there is anyone out there like me, we are worth whatever price tag we peg ourselves because we are alive today.

Until we become people worth legacies, we could live for the moments and love without limitations while working on our future aspirations.
So, in the spirit of the month of love, let us wear our new or fairly new clothes, go out of our way to smile, hug, kiss, pray and love with all our heart. Make worthy memories of a lifetime with the people who will remember us when we are gone.
Meanwhile, I am eating a leftover cupcake at 1 am. You may wave if you see me jogging the weight off.
Cheers. Happy chocolate and love month to you.
Edna Otitiaku (adjoaedna@gamil.com)


Comments

Popular Posts